Skip to Main Content

Continuance Request Policy

Requesting a Continuance
If a person fails to appear for a court date, a bench warrant may be issued, their driver's license suspended, or both. If a person cannot appear for a court date, he or she must request a continuance from the city attorney prior to the court date or ask the judge for a continuance at the court appearance.

The request either needs to be made through the Municipal Court clerk or city attorney. In all instances, the Municipal Court clerk will refer the request to the city attorney. Continuances requested on the day of court or after the court date are rarely given. In the event the city attorney refuses to grant a continuance, the individual can still appear before the judge and request a continuance.

Note: A continuance is not a right of the accused. They are granted solely at the discretion of the court or the city attorney.