Skip to Main Content

Building Inspection FAQs

What type of projects will I need to get a City Permit for?Anytime you are working on Electric, Plumbing, Heating & Air (HVAC), you are required to get a permit. In addition, if you are planning to construct a fence, build a new house, or change the footprint of your home, you are required to get a building permit to make sure your project meets all applicable city codes and planning and zoning regulations.

Where do I go to get a permit?
The City Inspection Office is located on the 2nd Floor, Municipal Building, 112 S. 17th Street, Parsons, KS 67357. It is located in the City Engineering Department.
Can I get fire protection from the Parsons Fire Department if I live close to the city?
Yes. If you meet the two-mile radius surrounding the city limits, you can purchase a fire contract. For more details, contact the Codes Enforcement Office at 620-421-7020.
If I am constructing a storage shed on my property, do I need a permit?
Yes. The placement of all storage buildings should be reviewed by the City Zoning Administrator. In addition, all buildings larger than 10 x 12 (120 sq. ft) require a permit.
I am moving into a new property, do I need to set up an inspection?
If the gas or electric service has been shut off for more than 6 months, you will need to call 620-421-7020 to set up a time for an inspection. (Utilities will not be turned on until this has occurred.) Gas line inspections require a pressure test (10 PSI of air must hold for 15 minutes) and City Inspector has to verify before utilities can be reconnected.

Swimming Pool Guidelines